New Hope Pit Bull Rescue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diary of a new foster mom

3 posters

Go down

Diary of a new foster mom Empty Diary of a new foster mom

Post  Golda's stepmom Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:30 am

Good day to all!!

My name is Kathe and I am Golda's stepmom. Fostering a dog was not in my plans of life but it has happened. I was not asked to be a foster mom, but my heart gave way to the sake of the dog.

When Alicia, my co-worker, was unindated with dogs one week, she had no choice but to bring one, Golda, to the office. It was her intentions to run back and forth to feed and let Golda out. I went home that night and was telling my step-son about what a nice dog Golda was and how I felt bad about her being all alone. The more we talked about her, the more we felt bad. Literally, on that dark, stormy night with roads flooding, we jumped in the car to bring Golda home. I called Alicia only to hear a little snicker when I told her what I was doing.

So we brought Golda home, only to find that she neede to be quarantined due to an infectious skin disease. She was "banished" to the garage. We set her kennel up, established her food area and gave her a heater for the cooling nights. Now started the 3 times a days skin treaments. They were helping but not working. I was getting worried because it seemed that Golda was getting depressed. She was able to see my other 3 dogs running in the backyard and couldn't join them. I knew that she needed the social interaction.

Back to vet went poor Golda. She came back with 2 more medicines, which made her drowsy. Another week passes and Golda is finally looking well enough that I felt comfortable with allowing limited contact with the other dogs. I won't say it was love at first sight, but my dogs were very accepting and Golda showed signs of happiness that there was a chance at companionship. She started to become more doglike rather than a cowering ball of fur.

As the first of many cold streaks started, I wooried about Golda in the garage even though she had a heater. One particularly cold night, I broke down. Yes, Golda has graduated to the house!! She was quite nervous at first. Mind you I have 3 other dogs and 3 cats, one who thinks that he is a dog. Luckily, it didn't take Golda long to get her confidence back. I am thrilled to say that there has never been any aggression between all the critters. There is no food aggressions at feeding times. Golda still retreats to her kennel, but her door is left open now. It's exciting to watch he run with the "pack" outside. All dogs answer to roll call. Golda loves her cookies, rewards for going potty outside.

We are successfully working on potty training. We are learning manners and not to get on furniture. Golda likes to think that she is a lap dog. She is good about getting her antibacterial baths (precautionary measure). I get excited when I go home and see all four dogs clammering at the door for my attention. Everyone in my fmaily has fallen in love with Golda. Actually, anyone who comes over fall in love with her. She is a fantastic dog!!!

I never thought that I would be in this position. Thank you Alicia for letting me participate in such a heartwarming lifestyle. It is going to be hard to let her go once a loving home can be found. She is a joy to watch, to see her come alive, be animated and just be a plain happy dog. My next hurdle, I have told him, is my husband. He's been deployed and is coming home soon. It's a good thing that he is a big softie with a big heart. Even though we didn't need another dog, He is going to melt upon meeting Golda. Good thing, since her kennel is on his side of the bed!!!

Golda's stepmom

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Diary of a new foster mom Empty Re: Diary of a new foster mom

Post  lpyrbby Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:41 am

hug Very Happy

Thank YOU! She is looking tons better already and even though she has a ways to go still, I think she's going to be just fine Smile

Now, I just hope your hubby doesn't hunt me down! geek
lpyrbby
lpyrbby

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-12-09

http://www.nhpbr.org

Back to top Go down

Post  DiamondTiger Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:39 am

Oh THANK YOU for sharing that story with us Kathe! It's like I told Java's foster mom... Alicia keeps me updated on how everyone's doing, but it's always so much better hearing it from the fosters themselves. Very Happy Thank you for taking such AWESOME care of this AMAZING girl. And welcome to the New Hope family. hug
DiamondTiger
DiamondTiger

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.nhpbr.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down